I know that most western people think plain white rice is boring, but we Japanese absolutely love it. Whether you want to serve with a main course, make sushi rolls or a Japanese style lunch box, cooking perfect white rice is crucial. If you cook rice quite regularly, investing in a rice cooker is a good idea, as it guarantees to cook perfect rice every time. After pressing a switch, you can forget about it until it’s done, plus you don’t have to spend a fortune on it – a simple rice cooker is inexpensive and works just fine.
Ingredients for 6 small portions
270g Sushi rice
- Wash the rice in a bowl. You can use the inner bowl of a rice cooker; just add water in a bowl and give a few stirs with your hand.
- Pour out the milky water; gently tilt the bowl and slowly pour the water out. You can use a sieve to drain the water instead.
- Repeat the washing and draining 5 times, then transfer to a sieve to drain.
- Add the washed rice and water in the inner bowl of a rice cooker. Give it a stir and start cooking.
- After the cooking process has finished, allow cooked rice to steam for 10-15minutes, and then serve immediately.