Miso is fermented soy bean paste, which is delicious as well as packed with beneficial bacteria. Most of us start our days with a bowl of miso soup in Japan.
It’s also a great seasoning for Japanese dishes, especially with salmon. Imagine crispy grilled salmon with rich miso and butter flavoured sauce… I could eat a bowl of rice just imagining it!
I served the salmon with stir-fried crispy bean sprouts and green peppers, seasoned with just salt and pepper. The colour combination made me want to eat more and I ate too much…AGAIN!
Ingredients for 4
4 Salmon fillets (approx. 130g per fillet)
3 tbs Butter
[Ingredients for miso and butter sauce]
- 2 tbs Honey
- 1 tbs (or less) Soy Sauce
- 1 tbs (or less) Rice Wine
- 1 tbs Miso
Chive (optional for garnish)
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce well.
- Heat the butter in a frying-pan. Once it starts melting, place the salmon skin side down over a lower high heat.
- When the edge of the salmon has turned white and its skin has browned, turn over and continue to fry until cooked.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the salmon and toss well to mix.
- Arrange on a serving plate and then spoon the remaining sauce from the frying-pan over the salmon. Garnish with chives if desired.
- The sauce is quite rich and strong, so use less seasoning for accompanying vegetables.